Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Blogging in my Classroom

Children’s interest in academics goes a long way in determining their level of attention and willingness to learn. Technology happens to be a tremendous point of interest to children; so using the medium will lighten them up, arouse their curiosity and motivate them to learn. Students have a preference for the internet to assess the latest information about their course content, which usually poses a challenge to their teachers who are just trying to tag along with the notion of using the internet (Richardson, 2010). One of the reasons educators should imbibe the use of technology in the classrooms is that they may be a step ahead of their students (Thornburg, 2004).

A blog is a simple, cheap and useful tool for the classroom because the teachers are able to set up blogs at no extra cost while students are given the opportunity to interact academically with each other and the teacher; and exchange ideas with the world so that they can get to know other people’s perspectives of any discussion matter.

In my classroom, I intend to use the blog for my grades one to six mathematics students but for the purpose of this presentation I will like to focus on my third graders. I will make use of discussion on working methods for mathematical problems from across the curriculum. Students will be expected to state how they intend solving a problem. This will give room for interaction among pupils as if they are working in discussion groups while I moderate. Several ideas will come from contributors so that the students will be able to expand their knowledge base. Right now the topic we are treating is equivalent fractions. I also intend to have number games of fractions that are equivalent to each other so that students will make a choice of which fraction is equivalent to the given one and discuss why. Since the knowledge of multiplication is important to performing equivalent fractions, I will post questions that will generate their ability to recall their multiplication values and how to apply same to equivalent fractions. Word problems will also feature prominently. The blog will be an avenue for students to interact about content in an interesting manner. Mathematics becomes easy when students derive fun in doing it. The sense that they are playing around with the technology, helps them relax and focus, because they do not like to be defeated by the computer in their games.

The simple idea of sharing their ideas gives them the satisfaction of achievement as they feel that they have important views, and this consequently builds confidence in them that makes him work hard at his given task so that it can be of global standard. On the other hand, blogging shifts the focus from the confines of the classroom to the glare of a global audience where every bit of information written can be readily accessed and assessed by anyone, including their parents who will be able to compare their children’s work with his classmates. It is however important for the teacher to take the time to oversee and model safe and acceptable level of communication during blogging (November, 2008).

References

November, A. (2008). Web literacy for educators. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
Chapter 6, “Expanding the Boundaries: Blogs, RSS, Podcasts, and Wikis”

Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

Thornburg, D. (2004). Technology and education: Expectations, not options. (Executive Briefing No. 401). Retrieved from http://www.tcpdpodcast.org/briefings/expectations.pdf

8 comments:

  1. Damilola I really like how you have your blog set up. You have really spent some time checking everything out. I really love the math questions, they're great!!

    In your post you talk about the positive of blogging and all the wonderful things that the students will gain from it. Your comment on it being opened to the world to gain feedback was spot on. I am wondering if you have planned for the unforeseen? Are all of your parents on board with their students work being posted? What if someone hacks into your sight, is all of your work protected, including identities?

    Aside from the horrible things that we must always be prepared for, your blog site is very user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the main huddles I have being running over are the points you have just made about children's safety online and parents' concerns about exposing their children to the world of online communication. One way I believe I can overcome this is by involving the parents, and of course limiting the users to the academic circle of our school and possibly in conjunction with a few other schools who have the same flare for the use of blogging as an educational tool. Parents will monitor their children when they are online at home while I do when in school.

    We should be vigilant, teach our students about staying safe on the internet and not revealing things about themselves to anyone online, including familiar people because others may make use of it. All my students will have code names for use online, their true identities will not be revealed. Actually even for what we are doing online right now, I think, we should not use our real identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damilola,

    I really like your idea of having students respond to math problems on the blog. So many times students think there is a right or wrong way to solve mathematics problems, when in reality there are generally multiple strategies to use to get to the same answer. I think having students post their solutions on the blog will be an excellent way for their classmates to get exposure to different strategies used to solve the same problem. I agree that safety is a concern when blogging in school. Having code names for online use is a great place to start. How will you monitor students' comments to each others posts. Will you have all posts approved by your prior to being displayed on the blog itself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. KalnoskeC,

    Thank you for your post and the kind comments. Actually, I intend working with the children to formulate the code names, then use their parents' email addresses to register them. Then I will have a feed for their blog sites just like we have done in this course, so that I will be able to receive all their responses and add mine when necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha has left a new comment on your post "Blogging in my Classroom":

    Hey!

    I like the way you presented your information on your web blogs. Your ideas are interesting. I wanted to share some of my insights about web logs in the teaching and learning practice.

    Web blogs can be beneficial with helping students to work beyond the classroom. Today, teachers have the ability to utilize technology to transform the instructional practice in ways that were not possible twenty years ago (Thornburg, 2004). I think blogging can be an effective tool, however, a big challenge is teaching students to interact in a proper manner. They must be taught proper educate because what they post will be viewed by many individuals. The 6th grade teacher, Kathy Martin in the course video, Spotlight on technology education discussed using a rubric to guide students with posting without using the same language as texting or instant messaging. Providing a rubric will help students meet the criteria to complete the assigned tasks. This can provide students with a clear concept of what they must do to achieve success in completing the expected task. Student access can present another challenge because not all students have access to the internet. Using a rubric can, (a) enhance student learning skills, (b) assist with peer-to-peer collaboration and evaluate individualized posting. Therefore, teachers can select to provide a morning or an after school or tutorial to facilitate those students. Pair-to pair tutoring would also be great to consider. This will enable students who completed the assignment to help another student and review the presented tasks at the same time.

    Reference

    Thornburg, D. (2004). Technology and education: Expectations, not options. (Executive Briefing No. 401). Retrieved from http://www.tcpdpodcast.org/briefings/expectations.pdf

    This comment by Martha was retrieved from my e-mail account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damilola's Response to Martha

    I really like the idea of providing a rubric for the students to know my expectations of them. It has great advantages.

    In my country, most mobile phone numbers providers have internet service and the cost is bearable so I will tell parents who don't have this device yet to get the modems for their children. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Damilola,
    I enjoyed your posting--I have had a great deal of success with student blogs. I find that motivation to write is ignited--and students are interested in reading others' blogs and commenting on them.
    Students can also visit the blogs of favorite authors, politicians, and celebrities as a way to give themselves a voice that extends beyond the classroom. That can be very empowering and exciting.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,
    Until you mentioned it, I have not thought of students visiting the blogs of favorite authors,politicians and celebrities. I am sure the children will find this fun and exciting.

    Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete